MSR and Fetzer Institute Invite Applications for 2021 Fetzer MSR Scholarship for Doctoral Students and New Faculty – Due Date April 30, 2021
Fetzer Institute is a private foundation created by John E. Fetzer in 1962 with a vision of a transformed world, powered by love, in which all people can flourish. Their mission is “To help build the spiritual foundation for a loving world.” One of their strategic initiatives is to partner with higher education organizations that are in alignment with this vision and mission. The Management, Spirituality and Religion (MSR) Interest Group at the Academy of Management is a higher education professional association that is very much in alignment with this vision. MSR is devoted to defining the relevance and impact of spirituality and religion in management, organizations and society.
Because of this shared mission and vision, Fetzer Institute for the third year is generously offering 20 scholarships to doctoral students and early career faculty. This scholarship covers the individual’s AOM membership for 2021 (Academic $188 USD, Students $94) and their registration for the virtual 2021 annual AOM conference (Academic $250 USD, Students $125). Each scholarship is in support of graduate students and new faculty who otherwise would not have university support or other means of attending the annual conference. This support of emerging scholars in the MSR field creates a significant infusion of wonderful scholarly and spiritual energy into the MSR community. The Fetzer Scholar attendance brings a critical mass of new thinking and a high degree of passion to the MSR field and to the MSR events at the Academy of Management annual meeting. It also provides a significant level of credibility for the work of these emerging scholars in their home institutions. The scholarship will encourage them to continue to pursue this cutting-edge work in a domain that is not always supported by the mainstream in the field of management.
Recipients of this scholarship will be part of a cohort that will receive support and guidance during the 2021 Academy of Management conference and throughout the following year.
- Doctoral students and new faculty doing research in the MSR domain. “New faculty” is defined as five years or less working as full-time faculty. Post-docs are also encouraged to apply if they have not yet found a faculty position.
- Not funded or only partially funded by their academic institution.
- Commitment to attend all major MSR events, including the MSR Retreat and the MSR Research Colloquium.
Doctoral students who receive the MSR Promising Dissertation Proposal Award will automatically receive the Fetzer Scholarship. We encourage, nevertheless, Promising Dissertation Proposal Award candidates to apply for both awards.
Selection process: Applications are due by April 30, 2021. The online application form can be found at: https://forms.gle/4d9sM1ZJYmV5XLrm7
Because MSR is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion, we are actively encouraging applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity. In our online form, we invite you to share anything you would like the selection committee to know about you that might contribute to this goal. This is not a required question.
To complete the online application, please be prepared to upload an MSWord or PDF document that answers the following two questions. Please use your last name, first name, and 'FetzerMSR2021' to make a filename. (e.g., Byun_Sangwon_FetzerMSR2021.pdf)
1. What is your personal and professional interest in the fields of or on the topics of personal and organizational transformation, workplace spirituality, spiritual leadership development, transformative teaching, conscious business, and so forth? (in approximately 500 words).
2. If you are currently doing research in the MSR domain, please describe your work in approximately 500 words; OR if you are not currently doing research but are intending to, please briefly describe the work you are planning to do in approximately 500 words.
Please be prepared to upload an official statement (PDF or MS Word document) from the appropriate office in your university on university letterhead about the level of financial support to attend the Academy of Management in 2021. (Please use your last name, first name, and your university name to make a filename. e.g., Byun_Sangwon_University of Minnesota.pdf) *
Final decisions will be made by mid-May.
Recipients of the MSR scholarships will be required to:
- Attend the virtual MSR Retreat, June 23-25, 2021
- Attend the virtual MSR two-day Research Consortium on July 26-27, 2021
- Attend the MSR Professional Development Workshop programs, the MSR scholarly program sessions, and the MSR business meeting, July 29 – August 4, 2021.
- Write a minimum of a two-page summary of the benefit of attending each these MSR events, to be shared with Fetzer Institute and the MSR Executive Committee.
To learn more about Fetzer Institute, visit their website at www.fetzer.org.
For questions, please contact Judi Neal at judi [at] edgewalkers.org (). Dr. Neal is the Chair of the MSR Scholarship Committee.
Note: Doctoral students working on dissertations on MSR-related topics are encouraged to apply for the MSR Promising Dissertation Proposal Award. This award application process has the same deadlines. For more information, contact Orneita Burton, oxb00a [at] acu.edu.