Spanx: Accusations of Product Risk
On January 20, 2014 The Huffington Post published an article about research into possible health risks associated with Spanx, the market-leading shapewear company. A few weeks later, the company made an announcement that the CEO was stepping down amidst rumors of a potential Initial Public Offering (IPO). Spanx must decide how to respond to mounting media attention.
- To highlight conflicts that arise from negative media attention regarding product risk and deciding which conflicts warrant a company response and to what extent.
- To provide an example of how a company formulates and executes strategic communications strategies,
- To encourage a discussion about knowing your company’s brand and customers and understanding industry trends and historical perspectives.
- To encourage a discussion on the role of digital and social media.
- To consider an expanding stakeholder base and the importance of making decisions with the future of the company in mind.