The Problem with Christmas
The new CEO of a regional branch of Catholic Charities had been on the job for less than a month when he first interacted with the organization’s Christmas Program. The case begins with Mark participating in and assessing the Program. While very popular with staff, Miller felt ill at ease with the program’s execution as it did not seem to fit the organization’s mission of dedication to and caring for “those in need while promoting human development, collaboration and the elimination of poverty and injustice.” Adding urgency to the situation was the fact that the organization was financially unstable.
1. Evaluate elements of an organizational culture that can contradict the mission of the agency.
2. Apply the Competing Values Framework to a culture change situation.
3. Recommend a short-term solution to programmatic activity.
4. Recommend a long-term solution to managing culture change in an organization effectively.
5. Evaluate the leadership styles that can help or hinder mission effectiveness.