Opportunity or Temptation?
Hope Community Church’s (HCC) upcoming vote regarding the purchase of land for new facilities pitted traditionalists against growth oriented progressives. One favored the status quo in spite of its many shortcomings. The other favored change to avoid strangling growth in spite of considerable uncertainties surrounding the purchase.
- Identify the barriers that Hope Community Church (HCC) leadership needed to overcome to make the new location a reality.
- Evaluate when a church, such as HCC, should remain in its current location or move to another facility.
- Understand how failure to follow the problem solving process, groupthink and group commitments within organizations such as HCC can cloud decisions.
- Understand how the decision making process is influenced by uncertainty.
- Evaluate whether or not the HCC building committee and/or church leadership were obligated to seek answers to questions raised by church members in the meetings.
Analyze whether or not HCC should buy or not buy the described land.