DHL: Closing Operations in the United States
On November 10, 2008, DHL announced that it would shut down the operations of its domestic shipping services in the United States. DHL must now communicate to its U.S. and international customers the implications of this business decision and how DHL will be able to continue to serve the needs of its customers.
- To encourage analysis of the ways in which a company can maintain its consumer base when making extraordinary changes to its business model;
- To highlight the conflict that arises as a company attempts to balance the needs of all stakeholders with the need to maintain profitability;
- To provide an example of how a company’s decision to shut down operations can impact a city or local economy;
- To encourage discussion regarding the level of responsibility companies have to the communities in which they operate;
- To demonstrate the decision making processes and strategic planning of a company in the midst of a global crisis.