Carat USA: An E-mail Gaffe and Reputational Furor
As Carat USA was in the process of implementing a restructuring plan, a top HR executive accidentally forwarded the communication plan to the entire company via e-mail. The confidential document included the firm’s messages to employees, clients, vendors and other stakeholders. How can Carat USA recover from the mistake and restore its reputation?
- To demonstrate the suddenness and depth with which communications crises can develop;
- To provide a real world example of a corporate communication plan relating to a key business decision;
- To encourage analysis of a quickly developing business problem that needs to be handled swiftly in order to avoid negative consequences;
- To illustrate that information technology can be misused and mismanaged in large organizations;
- To encourage discussion regarding the proper level of disclosure of difficult business decisions to key stakeholders.