Apple, Inc.: iPhone Data and Another FBI Investigation
After a terrorist attack at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, Apple received immense public pressure to comply with the FBI’s request to assist in unlocking the encrypted iPhone of the attacker. Apple’s evolving technology will open the company up to further concerns about user privacy that will need to be addressed.
- To draw attention to the growing conflict between Apple and the United States Government regarding consumer privacy.
- To illustrate an important difference between Apple’s policies regarding hardware and software storage when government subpoenas are filed for consumer information.
- To highlight the importance of transparency when consumer safety is at the forefront.
- To demonstrate how advancements in technology can change the meaning of corporate policies.
- To encourage discussions regarding the rights of individuals and freedom of information.