7-Eleven, Inc.: The Fine Line between Franchise Independence and Interdependence
In 2013, Immigration and Customs Enforcement raided 14 7-Eleven stores that subjected about 50 undocumented immigrants to negligent human rights violations. In 2018, ICE conducted a raid of separately owned franchises that resulted in 21 additional arrests. The franchises were held liable. How can tension be resolved between franchises and the parent company?
- To highlight the conflict that arises when a franchisor strives to maintain independence from its franchisees while providing a guiding framework for franchise management
- To explore the role of government involvement in business
- To encourage analysis of business strategy in handling internal and external communication
- To consider a company’s crisis management strategy in responding to a crisis
- To promote discussion surrounding the responsibility and role franchisors have to manage franchisees