Ain’t There No More: The Times-Picayune Downsizes
In May 2013, the New Orleans Times-Picayune’s (T-P) executive management made the decision to print the newspaper three days a week and distribute the remaining news content digitally via a special Sunday edition. The change was a move to address the newspaper’s declining revenues that began in 2005 and to adapt to the digital age. This case provides the background and the story of this business decision. From a learning perspective, it places students in the decision-making role of Ricky Mathews, incoming president, who felt change was needed. The case illustrates the importance of considering the impact of business decisions on loyal customers, and in this case, loyal readers of the T-P and residents of the New Orleans metro area.
- Examine the business model of the newspaper industry
- Assess the current environmental situation facing the media industry, specifically the newspaper industry
- Perform a PEST Analysis on the newspaper industry
- Conduct a Porter’s Five Forces analysis on the newspaper industry
- Formulate lessons learned from adapting to new technologies.